Last Kick at the Can 2017
Monday, December 11, 2017
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
(Original date: Thursday, April 20, 2017)
Who should attend: Personal injury litigators, both plaintiff and defence. This course is intended for experienced counsel; however, it will also be of interest to junior litigation counsel and personal injury paralegals.
Learning level: Intermediate
One of the most common elements that can arise in a personal injury claim is the long-term management of pain. In this context, a patient may require medical intervention, but this course of action is not without potential complications. In this comprehensive program, we will examine pain and pain management through two approaches: opioids, the old and established route, and cannabis marijuana, a new and rapidly expanding treatment modality. We will consider the strengths of these and other pain management approaches in terms of their implications for an injured party and for the litigation. This is about more than medicine, it is what you need to know about the medicine to more effectively advance your client's case—whether plaintiff or defendant.
At this course you will learn:
- the basics of pain relief—how painkillers work and their very real limitations
- about the new Canadian Guidelines on prescribing opioids
- about the promise and the risks of cannabis marijuana
- what patient addiction is and how it can arise
- how drug screening and testing works
- of the medical and legal issues around IMEs where pain-killing medication is involved
- how to manage medication and addiction issues in a litigation file from a cross-disciplinary panel
CLEBC would like to thank Viewpoint Medical Assessments for their generous support in sponsoring this event.
Law Society of BC CPD Hours: 6 (For Rebroadcasts: a minimum of 1.25 hours pertaining to professional responsibility and ethics, client care and relations, and/or practice management)
Robert C. Brun, QC — Harris & Brun, Vancouver
||Last Kick at the Can Rebroadcast
|Registration includes an electronic copy of the reference materials.
Please note: The CPD hours of the rebroadcast may differ from the CPD hours of the original, live program.
Webinar Archive: This course will be added to the Webinar Archive. See below to subscribe.
SPECIAL GROUP RATES! Plus-one pricing!
Gather a few colleagues around a computer to SAVE on Webinar/Rebroadcast costs! Groups pay full price for the main registrant + $149 for each additional viewer.* Contact Customer Service for more info.
*If your group includes a student, the first registration must be at the full rate if a lawyer is participating.
Unable to attend without financial support? Learn about our Bursary Program and Easy Pay Plan.
Can't make the course/webinar? Subscribe to:
1. Online Course Materials* — an on-demand archive of CLEBC papers since 2001
2. Webinar Archive* — an on-demand, online video repository of most past CLEBC courses
*Annual subscription rate based on firm size.
CLEBC Program Lawyer