Learn the essential elements for achieving excellence in appellate advocacy!
"Last Kick at the Can 2015": Wednesday, December 9, 2015; Time: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
(Original course: Friday, April 17, 2015)
Who should attend: Experienced civil and criminal litigators who are new to appellate practice; the course will also be of interest to veteran appellate counsel who seek a comprehensive review of the essential elements of appellate practice.
Learning level: Intermediate
Whether you are new to appellate work or are seasoned appellate counsel, this course is for you. Designed for both civil law and criminal law advocates, this program will raise your level of effectiveness in three critical areas: Registry Practice, Written Advocacy and Oral Advocacy. Come and learn about what to do and what not to do from Court of Appeal judges and senior appellate counsel. Primarily for experienced counsel who are new to appellate practice, the program will also be of interest to experienced counsel who seek a comprehensive review of the essential elements of appellate advocacy.
*Special Offer! Registrants may purchase the CLEBC practice manual Civil Appeal Handbook by Holly A. Brinton. Order the book at the same time as you register for the course and SAVE $55. Call Customer Service to order.
At this course you will learn how to...
- manage registry aspects of an appellate file
- be effective in Court of Appeal chambers
- sharpen your skills of analysis with respect to the identification and statement of grounds for appeal and deficiencies in the proceedings below
- hone your written and oral appellate advocacy skills
- expand your awareness of professionalism and access to justice issues as they relate to an appellate court setting
Law Society of BC CPD Hours: 6 hours (a minimum of 1 hour will involve professional responsibility and ethics, client care and relations, and/or practice management)
W. Paul Riley, QC — Public Prosecution Service of Canada, Vancouver
1. "Last Kick at the Can 2015" Rebroadcast: $475
Registration includes an electronic copy of the course materials.
Webinar Archive: This course will be added to the Webinar Archive. See below to subscribe.
2. The book
*Book ONLY: $275 | Online ONLY: $175 | Book (SAVE $55 when purchased with course): $220
Unable to attend without financial support? To learn more about CLEBC's Bursary Program click here and for our Easy Pay Plan click here.
Can't make the live course/live webinar?
1. Order the online course materials, an archive of all CLEBC papers published since 2001. ... OR
2. Subscribe to the Webinar Archive, a repository of recordings of most CLEBC past courses.
Annual subscription rates for both options are based on firm size.
CLEBC Program Lawyer