The legal landscape for cannabis marihuana is rapidly changing—health law, criminal law, and business law are being affected—will you be ready?
"Last Kick at the Can 2015": Thursday, December 10, 2015; Time: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
(Original course: Friday, May 29, 2015)
Who should attend: Criminal practitioners, both Crown and defence, general civil litigators, and business lawyers—litigation counsel of all stripes.
Learning level: Intermediate/Advanced
The recent rise of medical marihuana on the Canadian landscape reflects a revolution in medical and legal thinking about the proper place of this substance in our society. The changing status of marihuana raises legal questions in several quarters: criminal law where it is a controlled drug, health law and pharmacology where it is a medicine, and business law where it is a consumer product. Chaired by two leading counsel in marihuana litigation, this comprehensive one-day program will quickly bring you up to speed on both the legal issues and practical considerations surrounding the new and emerging status of medical marihuana in Canada.
At this course you will learn about...
- the historical status of cannabis marihuana as criminalized substance in Canada, first as a narcotic and later as a controlled drug
- the rise of cannabis marihuana as a medical substance and the move from prohibition to regulation
- the historical uses of cannabis marihuana: from a recreational psychoactive substance to a medicine
- the pharmacology of cannabis marihuana—how it is taken, and its effects on recipients
- the present status of cannabis marihuana with Health Canada
- current issues surrounding access to and the use of medical cannabis marihuana
- the myriad business opportunities and regulatory issues that accompany the rise of medical marihuana in Canada
- current and future trends for marihuana on the criminal, health, and regulatory fronts
Law Society of BC CPD Hours: 6 hours (a minimum of 1 hour will involve professional responsibility and ethics, client care and relations, and/or practice management)
"Last Kick at the Can 2015" Rebroadcast: $475
Registration includes an electronic copy of the course materials.
Webinar Archive: This course will be added to the Webinar Archive. See below to subscribe.
Unable to attend without financial support? To learn more about CLEBC's Bursary Program click here and for our Easy Pay Plan click here.
Can't make the live course/live webinar?
1. Order the online course materials, an archive of all CLEBC papers published since 2001. ... OR
2. Subscribe to the Webinar Archive, a repository of recordings of most CLEBC past courses.
Annual subscription rates for both options are based on firm size.
Mark your calendar!
Personal Injury Conference 2015—Monday, June 22, 2015
CLEBC Program Lawyer