Stay current on important issues in the criminal justice process!
Presented by CLEBC in collaboration with CBABC
"Last Kick at the Can" Rebroadcast
Thursday, December 15, 2016; 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
(Original Course: Saturday, June 11, 2016)
Who should attend: Criminal lawyers, both Crown and defence, at all levels of experience.
Learning level: All levels
The practice of criminal law in Canada continues to evolve on a number of different fronts reflecting the dynamic interplay of social trends, social science, technology, legislation, and law enforcement techniques. This unique and comprehensive one-day program will examine a number of special issues of current interest from the perspective of not only experienced criminal lawyers but also police officers and expert witnesses.
Please note: To assist with the presentation "Witness Accommodation Including Courthouse Dogs" there will be a courthouse dog in attendance.
At this course you will learn about...
- current thinking on police interviewing strategies and techniques and their implications for criminal prosecutions
- the emerging practice of courthouse dogs as an option to support witnesses in the courtroom
- the substantive and procedural issues raised by the presence of self-represented accused in the criminal justice system
- the not-so-simple array of issues surrounding the when and how of Police Use of Force
- the best practices for managing psychopaths and other personality disordered individuals that counsel is most likely to encounter in the witness box
CBABC members receive an additional 10% off course registration fees. Call Customer Service to register and remember to have your CBABC membership number ready.
Law Society of BC CPD Hours: 6 hours (a minimum of 1 hour will involve aspects of professional responsibility and ethics, client care and relations, and/or practice management)
Kevin Westell — Sutherland Jetté, Vancouver
Michelle B. Wray — Crown Counsel, Ministry of Justice, Surrey
"Last Kick at the Can" Rebroadcast: $475
Registration includes an electronic copy of the course materials.
SPECIAL GROUP RATES! New "plus-one" pricing!
Gather around one computer and SAVE on Live Webinar/Rebroadcast costs. Pay full price for the first registration and have each additional viewer join you for $125 per day. Contact Customer Service for more info.
CBABC GROUP LIVE WEBINARS: Special rates will apply for CBABC members who participate in a group Live Webinar with five or more individuals at the same site. Contact Customer Service for details.
Webinar Archive: This course will be added to the Webinar Archive. See below to subscribe.
Unable to attend without financial support? To learn more about CLEBC's Bursary Program click here and for our Easy Pay Plan click here.
Can't make the live course/live webinar?
1. Order the online course materials, an archive of all CLEBC papers published since 2001. ... OR
2. Subscribe to the Webinar Archive, a repository of recordings of most CLEBC past courses.
Annual subscription rates for both options are based on firm size.
CLEBC Program Lawyer