"CLE Summer Series 2017"
Tuesday, July 25, 2017 OR Tuesday, August 1, 2017
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
(Original date: Thursday, April 20, 2017)
Who should attend: Personal injury litigators, both plaintiff and defence. This course is intended for experienced counsel; however, it will also be of interest to junior litigation counsel and personal injury paralegals.
Learning level: Intermediate
One of the most common elements that can arise in a personal injury claim is the long-term management of pain. In this context, a patient may require medical intervention, but this course of action is not without potential complications. In this comprehensive program, we will examine pain and pain management through two approaches: opioids, the old and established route, and cannabis marijuana, a new and rapidly expanding treatment modality. We will consider the strengths of these and other pain management approaches in terms of their implications for an injured party and for the litigation. This is about more than medicine, it is about what you need to know about the medicine to more effectively advance your client's case—whether plaintiff or defendant.
At this course you will learn:
- the basics of pain relief—how painkillers work and their very real limitations
- about the new Canadian Guidelines on prescribing opioids
- about the promise and the risks of cannabis marijuana
- what patient addiction is and how it can arise
- how drug screening and testing works
- of the medical and legal issues around IMEs where pain-killing medication is involved
- how to manage medication and addiction issues in a litigation file from a cross-disciplinary panel
CLEBC would like to thank Viewpoint Medical Assessments for their generous support in sponsoring this event.
Law Society of BC CPD Hours: 6 (a minimum of 1 hour pertaining to professional responsibility and ethics, client care and relations, and/or practice management)
Robert C. Brun, QC — Harris & Brun, Vancouver
CLE Summer Series
Register by June 19
After June 19, 2017
|Webinar Rebroadcast Student
|Save even more with your CPDone Pass.
Registration includes an electronic copy of the course materials.
SPECIAL GROUP RATES! Plus-one pricing!
Gather around one computer and SAVE on Live Webinar/Rebroadcast costs. Pay full price for the first registration and have each additional viewer join you for $125 per day. Contact Customer Service for more info.
Webinar Archive: This course will be added to the Webinar Archive. See below to subscribe.
Unable to attend without financial support? Learn more about CLEBC's Bursary Program and our Easy Pay Plan.
Can't make the live course/live webinar?
1. Order the Online Course Materials, an archive of all CLEBC papers published since 2001.
2. Subscribe to the Webinar Archive, a repository of recordings of most CLEBC past courses.
Annual subscription rates for both options are based on firm size.
CLEBC Program Lawyer