Everything you need to know to successfully launch your career as a litigator!
Last Kick at the Can 2017
Thursday, December 14, 2017
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
(Original date: Friday, May 12, 2017)
Who Should Attend: Junior litigators; this course may also be of interest to intermediate litigators who want a refresher to round out their skill set.
Learning level: Fundamental
Are great litigators born or made? While natural ability and aptitude will get a young lawyer off to a good start, it is not always enough. You need hard work and guidance — the right kind of guidance. This new and comprehensive course will review the key elements of what it takes to excel as a junior litigator — from personal temperament, to work ethic, to writing, to trial preparation, to advocacy, and to performance at trial. Let our panel of jurists and senior counsel be your team of mentors for an intensive day of learning on "how to be a great litigation junior".
At this course you will learn:
- what senior counsel look for in a junior — from character and temperament, to personal skill sets, to what they do not want to see
- how to meet the twin challenges of maximizing productivity and achieving wellness as a member of a demanding profession
- how to make the most of your legal writing by understanding the necessary adjustment you must make given the purpose and the audience
- how you can be most effective in assisting senior counsel with trial preparation
- what the bench does and does not like to see in court
- how you can be most effective in assisting senior counsel at trial
- skills and values that make for an effective advocate
Law Society of BC CPD Hours: 6 (For Rebroadcasts: a minimum of 1.25 hours will involve professional responsibility and ethics, client care and relations, and/or practice management)
Joel Morris — Harper Grey LLP, Vancouver
||Last Kick at the Can Rebroadcast
|Registration includes an electronic copy of the reference materials.
Please note: The CPD hours of the rebroadcast may differ from the CPD hours of the original, live program.
Webinar Archive: This course will be added to the Webinar Archive. See below to subscribe.
SPECIAL GROUP RATES! Plus-one pricing!
Gather a few colleagues around a computer to SAVE on Webinar/Rebroadcast costs! Groups pay full price for the main registrant + $149 for each additional viewer.* Contact Customer Service for more info.
*If your group includes a student, the first registration must be at the full rate if a lawyer is participating.
Unable to attend without financial support? Learn about our Bursary Program and Easy Pay Plan.
Can't make the course/webinar? Subscribe to:
1. Online Course Materials* — an on-demand archive of CLEBC papers since 2001
2. Webinar Archive* — an on-demand, online video repository of most past CLEBC courses
*Annual subscription rate based on firm size.
CLEBC Program Lawyer