Click here to read a sample from the book!
Your practical guide to real estate development in BC
This publication is essential for: every lawyer acting for or against a developer or municipality.
Current to: February 1, 2017
ONLINE ONLY annual subscriptions to this book include convenient online access with search capability, links to the full text of cases and legislation, downloadable forms and precedents, and regular updates.
To service your developer and municipal clients, you need a strong command of the legal principles and an understanding of the real estate development process. Learn about land acquisition, the structure of the developer and joint ventures, conducting appropriate searches and investigations, how land use is regulated and development rights obtained, controls on site development, charges for offsite development costs, and subdivision regulation. One entire chapter is devoted to the unique planning and regulatory environment in the City of Vancouver. Another chapter addresses the complexities of development on First Nations lands. Also included are chapters on construction contracts, obtaining development finance from institutional lenders, and requirements for marketing of subdivided land.
Highlights of the 2017 update
- update of all chapters to reflect Local Government Act limited revision and renumbering
- new chapter on development on First Nations lands
- new disclosure requirements and tax considerations for foreign entities and partners of foreign entities
- Vancouver Charter amendment to protect "in-stream" and "precursor applications" from development cost charges
- new Provincial Building Code Appeal Code, Vancouver Building Board of Appeal and Building Board of Appeal Bylaw
- amendments to regulation of transfer of deposits from one trustee to another
- revamped and expanded discussion of anti-money laundering requirements
CLEBC Legal Editor
L. Joy Tataryn