Click here to read a sample from the book!
Practical solutions to your Builders Lien Act problems and questions
This publication is essential for: any solicitor or litigator involved with construction, conveyancing, or real estate loan transactions needing practical guidance on how to deal with a builders lien issue in BC
Current to: September 1, 2017
Lawyers involved in the construction industry need to have a good working knowledge of the Builders Lien Act and all its idiosyncrasies. The British Columbia Builders Liens Practice Manual is a comprehensive resource designed to provide speedy answers for practical issues that frequently arise under the Act. Rather than annotated legislation, this manual is organized by topic and covers the entire builder liens process from how to file a claim of lien all the way to enforcing a lien. With each topic, you receive guidance, relevant sections of the Act, case law, and templates to help you address the specific builders lien issue that your client is facing.
Highlights of the 2017 update
- legislative and practice developments since the 2015 update
- new SCC, BCCA, and BCSC decisions on:
- filing deadlines and the certificate of completion
- termination of the head contract as a triggering event
- invalid components of lien amounts
- the lien against the holdback
- constructive trusts and builders liens
- breach of trust and builders liens
- bankruptcy and insolvency and the trust
- foreclosure proceedings and lien claimants
- liens extinguished by non-compliance
- naming parties in a lien action
- relevant case law from superior courts in Alberta, Ontario, and other provinces
- new topics such as right to information about a labour and material bond (Chapter 11)
|Print + Online Package
Stay current—sign up for our Standing Order list!
Receive a friendly reminder one month before a new update is published.
CLEBC Legal Editor
Jonathan M. Vogt