The classic guide to appellate court practice.
This publication is essential for: every lawyer engaged in a civil appeal in British Columbia.
Current to: February 1, 2017
Civil Appeal Handbook is the only comprehensive guide to appellate court practice in British Columbia. The authors have exhaustively researched the many hundreds of cases on civil appellate procedure, and have created a practice-oriented and accessible resource packed with over 700 pages of information. The Handbook is an easy-to-read guide that takes you to step by step through the entire appellate process, clarifying difficult areas and providing succinct answers to issues that frequently arise.
With its definitive coverage of the Court of Appeal procedures and relevant, recent court authorities, the book is a must-have reference tool for every lawyer who does appellate work in British Columbia. The book is updated regularly, and subscriptions include online access with search capability and links to the full text of case law and legislation and forms and precedents on CD-ROM.
Highlights of the 2017 update
- introducing new author Peter Senkpiel, trial and appellate lawyer at Nathanson, Schachter & Thompson LLP
- over 100 key appellate court decisions added to the commentary and footnotes, such as:
- recent Supreme Court of Canada decisions on standards of review, including Ledcor Construction Ltd. v. Northbridge Indemnity Insurance Co., 2016 SCC 37
- Kish (Litigation guardian of) v. Sobchak Estate, 2016 BCCA 65 (standards of review)
- Cowichan Valley Regional District v. Cobble Hill Holdings, 2016 BCCA 160 and 2016 BCCA 215 (relief pending appeal)
- British Columbia v. Philip Morris International Inc., 2016 BCCA 363 (fresh evidence)
- all other practice developments since the 2016 Update, including new or updated court directives and policies
|Print + Online Package
Stay current—sign up for our Standing Order list!
Receive a friendly reminder one month before a new update is published. Contact Customer Service for more information.
CLEBC Legal Editor