The classic guide to appellate court practice
This publication is essential for: anyone looking for direction on civil appeals in British Columbia.
Current to: February 1, 2017
Appellate advocacy requires different focus and skills than trial advocacy. Civil Appeal Handbook is your comprehensive companion to civil appellate law, practice, and procedure in British Columbia. Filling a need identified by BC litigators, the authors have exhaustively researched the many hundreds of cases on appellate practice to create this definitive text supported by ample references to statutes, case law, and academia. You will be confident in dealing with all appellate issues from the BC Court of Appeal’s jurisdiction through to issues arising post-hearing.
With this resource, you will be able to:
- plan an appeal strategy after reviewing your client’s situation
- understand the nuances of arguing an appeal
- identify opportunities for persuasive advocacy during the appeal process
Buy your copy and be appeal adept today!
Highlights of the 2017 update
- introducing new author Peter Senkpiel, trial and appellate lawyer at Nathanson, Schachter & Thompson LLP
- over 100 key appellate court decisions added to the commentary and footnotes, such as:
- recent Supreme Court of Canada decisions on standards of review, including Ledcor Construction Ltd. v. Northbridge Indemnity Insurance Co., 2016 SCC 37
- Kish (Litigation guardian of) v. Sobchak Estate, 2016 BCCA 65 (standards of review)
- Cowichan Valley Regional District v. Cobble Hill Holdings, 2016 BCCA 160 and 2016 BCCA 215 (relief pending appeal)
- British Columbia v. Philip Morris International Inc., 2016 BCCA 363 (fresh evidence)
- all other practice developments since the 2016 Update, including new or updated court directives and policies
|Print + Online Package
Stay current—sign up for our Standing Order list!
Receive a friendly reminder one month before a new update is published. Contact Customer Service for more information.
CLEBC Legal Editor