This book is essential for: lawyers in any jurisdiction acting on assessment matters in BC and others in the assessment community.
Are you familiar with all aspects of the real property assessment system from initial assessment through to appeal of Property Assessment Appeal Board decisions? Let the experts in this area describe the essentials of real property assessment and bring you up to speed on all you need to know in this area of law. Topics covered include taxing authorities, assessable property, classification, valuation, exemption, appeal proceedings before the PARP and the PAAB, appealing a board decision by way of stated case or judicial review, and First Nations taxation.
This regularly updated manual also features the most recent in case law, the full consolidated text of relevant legislation, and the PAAB Rules. Subscriptions include online access with search capability and links to the full text of case law and legislation, and updates each spring.
Highlights of the 2010 update
- completely revised chapters on assessable property and property classification
- new case law on scope of appeal at hearings before the Property Assessment Appeal Board of B.C.
- new case law on standards of review in B.C. under Administrative Tribunals Act
- assessment and taxation on Maa-nulth lands with coming into force of Maa-nulth Final Agreement
- exemptions on taxing treaty First Nations lands
- new Supreme Court Civil Rules in stated case hearings
CLEBC Program Lawyer
L. Joy Tataryn