The Continuing Legal Education Society of BC (“CLEBC”) is the BC legal profession’s preferred source for education and publications. CLEBC is a not-for-profit society that derives all of its income from the sale of courses and books. With more than 80 live and online courses each year, and an online and print library of more than 50 books, we support BC’s 10,000 lawyers in all aspects of their practice.
The Intermediate Programmer will contribute to the success of the CLEBC website, online store and other web-based and non-web-based applications and processes; develop, maintain and monitor applications online, internal to the organization and/or hosted at third-party organizations; be a programmatic liaison between the business unit, the technology team and the support team throughout multiple project lifecycles; act as a programming resource and make recommendations in response to new solutions; assist in the preparation and update of application interfaces to external sources; and maintain relations with technical third-party organizations. The role requires the ability to translate requirements both documented and undocumented, technical specifications, projected costs and proposals and provide advice to help determine whether the initiatives are feasible. The Intermediate Programmer provides technical support and expands capabilities in the areas of legal resources and education, project management, programming and administration, and fulfils a critical role in delivering integrated business and information solutions.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Contribute to the entire software development lifecycle of analysis, design, implementation and testing.
- Design, develop, document and implement web-based and non-web-based applications/solutions.
- Identify the impact of any modifications to the code base to maintain system stability.
- Develop unit test cases/criteria to verify all functionality adheres to specifications.
- Analyze, evaluate and test program coding prior to implementation to ensure the application is ready for production operation.
- Correct any coding errors uncovered throughout the testing phase; clearly document all changes made.
- Confer with users and other programmers to determine application goals, or required modifications to existing applications.
- Collaborate with the user community to resolve specific problems or make changes to applications.
- Track down problems in applications until a solution is found and resolved.
- Adhere to industry best practices and contribute to internal coding standards.
- Participate in the deployment of new releases.
- Develop and maintain new and existing reporting environments/data warehouse.
- Perform ongoing monitoring of deployed applications to ensure maximum intended performance.
- Schedule and perform regular improvements, patches, fixes and other upgrades or maintenance.
- Work with the Business Analyst and internal/ external software developers to understand opportunities and issues and arrive at effective solutions to meet the needs of the business.
- Work extensively with other members of our operational team, using analytical and problem-solving abilities to create better solutions.
- In coordination with the Senior Programmer, Network Administrator and IT Director, maintain the development and production of web servers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related area (preferred)
- Familiarity with JIRA to ensure projects are completed on time and within scope
- Experience using version control using Git, Visual Studio and SQL Management Studio
- Knowledge of web API
- Proficient with navigation, GUI for UI usability.
- Responsive design for all devices including mobile development.
- Experience with the cloud (MS Azure).
- Experience working with large data sets.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Minimum 5+ years related experience.
CLEBC is committed to equity and diversity and welcomes applications from visible minority group members, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities or expression. CLEBC hires on the basis of merit; all qualified persons are encouraged to apply.
CLEBC offers competitive compensation and extended health benefits in a collegial and professional environment. If you are interested in the position, please provide a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.