The Continuing Legal Education Society of BC (“CLEBC”) is the BC legal profession’s preferred source for education and publications. CLEBC is a not-for-profit society that derives all of its income from the sale of courses and books. With more than 80 live and online courses each year, and an online and print library of more than 50 books, we support BC’s 12,000 lawyers in all aspects of their practice.
Looking to leave law practice but stay at the centre of BC legal developments? CLEBC is recruiting lawyers who enjoy writing and editing legal content to join our dynamic team. CLEBC offers lawyers the opportunity to pursue a challenging and interesting legal career, while maintaining work/life balance.
We have an immediate opening for a Legal Editor. Reporting to the Director of Publications, the Legal Editor is responsible for planning, creating, and updating new and existing CLEBC legal content (including print and online books and other digital products) in response to new legal developments and the needs of legal professionals and the legal community. The Legal Editor is also responsible for developing networks of legal experts as volunteer contributors.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
Understand the Legal Market
- Keeps up to date on legal developments in assigned practice areas in order to identify opportunities for new product development, to enhance existing resources, and to assess the frequency required to update existing resources
- Researches and understands the practice needs of legal professionals who work in assigned practice areas. This includes activities such as interviews, surveys, and analysis of data, working individually and collaboratively with CLEBC colleagues
- Based on research on practice needs, works collaboratively with CLEBC colleagues to develop practice area strategies and to create content that matches identified needs
- Actively cultivates relationships in the BC legal community
Develop and Update Products
- Participates in the department business planning each year to identify update projects and new opportunities
- Creates and maintains a publishing plan for each publishing project
- Recruits, nurtures, and manages relationships with expert advisors and contributors with goals of developing content for new and existing publications products
- Reviews materials submitted by contributors and conducts research to ascertain accuracy as required; edits and rewrites material where necessary, working in consultation with the authors and editorial boards to finalize the content and to organize the material in the most appropriate format
- Monitors the production aspect of projects from word-processing, copy-editing, and production activities, providing direction and guidance to ensure completion of the product, on schedule and on budget
- Works closely with marketing to prepare the marketing and advertising of each product
The ideal Candidate will possess the following education, experience, skills and abilities:
- Degree in Law plus a minimum of three years law practice
- Ability to conduct in-depth legal research and draft or edit accurate and practical legal resources
- Excellent organization and project management skills
- Excellent writing, editing, and legal research skills, including excellent knowledge and use of the English language
- Self-motivated with analytical skills and ability to solve problems and propose solutions
- Ability to work independently and in teams
- Confident in cultivating relationships in the legal community, including recruiting contributors and managing projects with volunteer contributors
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; a collaborator who works well in teams
CLEBC is committed to equity and diversity and welcomes applications from visible minority group members, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities or expression. CLEBC hires on the basis of merit; all qualified persons are encouraged to apply.
CLEBC offers competitive compensation and extended health benefits in a collegial and professional environment. If you are interested in the position, please provide a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by June 14, 2021.