A follow-up to our original CLEBC Resources: Societies Act Transition and Beyond article.
The new British Columbia Societies Act will come into force on November 28, 2016 and will replace the current Society Act.
In response to demand from the legal community, CLEBC is proud to announce that our new BC Societies Guide has been released and is now available for purchase!
Written by Dierk Ullrich of Fasken Martineau LLP, BC Societies Guide is the only Societies Act publication in the province developed specifically for lawyers by lawyers. If you are a lawyer who practises charities and not-for-profit law or sits on the board of a society, this publication was created for you.
BC Societies Guide goes beyond being a transition handbook – it is a comprehensive practice manual on all aspects of societies under the new legislative regime. Rather than providing an annotated Act, this guide provides topic-by-topic analysis and practical advice for advising societies on matters such as:
- the new entities of member-funded societies and extraprovincial non-share corporations
- societies’ record-keeping obligations, financial requirements, and audit requirements
- changes to classes of membership, voting rules, and thresholds for special resolutions
- the qualifications, liability, and indemnification of society directors
For a full table of contents, please click here.
BC Societies Guide is available:
- as a stand-alone online access publication
- as Chapter 18 of our BC Company Law Practice Manual (2016 Update)
- as a free PDF resource for the attendees of our upcoming courses Charities and Not-for-Profits Law Conference (Oct 27) and BC’s New Societies Act for Legal Support Staff (Oct 28)
To purchase your copy of BC Societies Guide, visit our website or call CLEBC Customer Service at 604.893.2121 today.